teacher/supervisor; Rutger Klauwers
Period, duration: Block 2 and 3 / 5 sessions
Study load: Contact hours 7.5 / self-study 120
Contribution to the competences
3. Investigative and reflective ability
4. Ability to grow and innovate
5. Entrepreneurial and organizing ability
6. Communicative Ability
7. Ability to Collaborate
Short summary of the content
The student is made aware of the health perspective of the dancer in relation to artistic development; of the effects of the correlation between a coach's leadership style and the incidence of serious injuries and the availability of dancers.
It may be known by now that international studies show that professional dance is a high-risk environment with high physical and mental strain.
When dance is completely designed from the perspective to the top, there are consequences for the health and autonomy of the individual dancer. Conversely, if the perspective “Feel fit” is leading, this does not always match the reality of the work culture in a ballet company. Finding the right balance between dance and health remains a difficult matter for professional dancers.
This module consists of several topics all related to health, safety and effectiveness of dance teaching. Based on recent developments, more and more (scientific) sources and smart technological developments are available to improve the balance between professional dance and health.
In collaboration with the health team of Dutch National Ballet. New insights from and developments in performing arts dance medicine and science are discussed in more detail. We will also discuss new perspectives and insights from the international sport and dance world.
What is expected of the student
Social constructivism (learning, not by receiving but actively processing information).
The student is responsible for directing his own learning process. The student is expected to actively participate in the course, including:
- Appearing prepared for class
- An active attitude during class
- Asking relevant questions
- Join the discussions
- Execution of assignments
Concrete learning objectives
- takes note of developments in performing arts medicine and sports medicine.
- is able to translate literature into his/her work environment context.
- sees their own role in innovation policy regarding health issues in dance culture.
- is able to apply context specific interventions to the different years.
- can reflect on the causes of dropout and adapt/adjust interventions accordingly.
- is able to see the Methodology in a larger context and to form its own vision.
- Self study
- Writing an in-depth paper
Used study material (professional literature, cases, assignments, videos, etc.)
Lesson 1 Physical injuries in dance
- Mattiussi AM et al. Injury epidemiology in professional ballet: a five-season prospective study of 1596 medical attention injuries and 543 time-loss injuries.
Br J Sports Med. 2021 Aug;55(15):843-850. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2020-103817.
Lesson 2 Mental wellness
- Data HNB mental wellness issues
- Injuries in pre-professional dancers a performance psychological approach, thesis Diana van Winden.
- Additional reading; Mental health in elite athletes
Lesson 3 Why injury prevention doesn't work
- From the safety net to the injury prevention web: applying systems thinking to unravel injury prevention challenges and opportunities in Cirque du Soleil.
- top sport climate, talent development physical/mental, tax management
- let dancer get hurt she will learn
- early reporting of injuries
Lesson 4 Team around the dancer
- Importance of context
Context Matters: Revisiting the First Step of the Sequence of Prevention’ of Sports Injuries
- importance of partnerships, language/coordination
- management support safe climate, safe learning environment
Lesson 5 Vision method, top sport vision
- Athletic skill model
- Long-term athlete development tools
The student writes a context-specific paper about the development issue; innovation of health issues within ballet. This tests whether the student has knowledge and insight into the subject matter.